Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Creative Ways To Upcycle Vintage Glass Insulators

Vintage glass electric insulators are so cool! What were they used for? They were used to separate the electrical wires from the wooden telephone poles, basically insulating the poles from the wires so that the poles didn't burn down. They were commonly made of glass or porcelain. 

Check out what some creative folks below have done with them...

Check out this fabulous outdoor chandelier made by Vickie at Ranger 911

Vintage glass insulators as post caps, image via Pinterest

Cute insulator coat rack with DIY from Katie at Creatively Living

Insulator mantle art by Afterglow Studio

Insulator Christmas tree

Read more about insulators here!

I hope you enjoyed this look at upcycled vintage glass insulators. What would you do with old insulators? I'd love to hear from you so please leave your comments below! 

What do you think?

Enjoy the rest of your week! 
Love, Laura

My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at


  1. Such creative finds! I love the pendant lights!

  2. Great post I supply insulators for collecting or projects when in need..... 1StopCollectionShop etsy john

  3. I know someone who used them on the feet of their dining room table! Looks great!

  4. These are so cool - beautiful colors! I havent seen anything like these ones before

  5. I've added them to a rusty bedspring (takes some muscle to do this) open end up and added a battery tealite. I have some topping the metal fenceposts that hold up the metal bedframe arbor that supports my grapes. I have also used damaged/chipped ones open end down in my garden just to line the path. I also made and sold them with curled wire hanging frames and added prisms as "candle-iers"..maybe I need to do those again? Love the aqua ones!