Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Curb Alert Tip: How Do I Get That Dresser Home?





Let's say you're walking or driving along the road and see that someone has put a great dresser or chest of drawers out on the curb for trash, or marked "free." Wow, you think - this is just the type of piece you were looking for to makeover for your (fill in the blank) family room, bedroom, etc.

BUT you don't have room in your vehicle to get it home at the time you come across it - what do you do?




Take the drawers! Yes, take the drawers out and then come back for the dresser itself once you have your truck or whatever vehicle you need to haul the big piece. 

But first and foremost, always ring the doorbell and ask if the owner is getting rid of what's on the curb - even if they put a "for free" sign on it - it's just common courtesy.  You don't want to accidentally take something that someone might not be getting rid of! 
Tell them you are taking the drawers and will be back for the larger piece momentarily. If you let the person know that you want the item but have to run home to get a bigger vehicle, they may allow you to pull it off the curb onto their yard or hold it for you until you return. It never hurts to ask!


What do you think?

PS - For tons of furniture makeover inspiration, be sure to check out my previous post:
Upcycled Dressers: Painted, Wallpapered & Decoupaged




Pin this post!





I hope you have a great week 
Love, Laura


My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at https://www.etsy.com/shop/dishfunctionldesigns




18 comments:

  1. Good idea! Because if you just drive/ walk away and come back- chances are it will be gone upon return- you've got to think fast :) taking the drawers is an easy way to hint "it's mine, I saw it first, got dibs"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happened to me a couple of times and I lost out on most of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that's a good tip with the drawers! And you're right about knocking on the door. We recently got a free wood stump that we're turning into a table, and because we knocked on the door first, the guy who lived there helped us get it into the trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tip! We sometimes put things out on the curb, but no one has ever asked us if they could take it. I figure if it's at the curb, it's fair game. And I'm happy to see things go with someone rather than to the landfill, for sure.

    Etsy Blog Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty smart. No one is gonna take it without any of the drawers. I moving into a house from our apartment this month and will need to find some inexpensive goodies to fill it with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good call - my roommate will actually be moving out and I'll have a ton more space in my apartment! I'm thinking of hunting for some unique pieces (mostly from Goodwill haha) for more organization - this tip might come in handy! Thank you!

    Erin from EBT
    http://labellaironia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, hope you find some great stuff!

      Delete
  7. Great tip about the drawers! Regarding asking beforehand, it seems like the right thing to do. My husband and I recently spotted a couple of chairs on the side of the road and I instantly fell in love. I feel bad because my first instinct was just to grab them rather than ask, but the Mr. wanted to ensure they were up for grabs. I went skipping to the front door and surprisingly enough, the guy was actually pretty annoyed that I asked. Nevertheless, they were free and we took them. Too bad the meanie didn't appreciate their beauty as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you got lucky! Yeah, asking beforehand is always the best thing to do.

      Delete