Saturday, May 22, 2010

Silver or Black Jewelry Finish? Which Do You Prefer?


Silver or Black jewelry finish? Which do you prefer? 

I recently posted this question on my Facebook page. 

So far, silver is in the lead...



Shiny silver finish?


When I first began making jewelry from broken china (and we're talking nearly 20 years now - yikes!) I would occasionally dabble with the black/vintage/antiqued finishes, but for some reason I always seemed to come back to silver.

Silver is traditional, it's easy to wear, it's shiny....as for the darker, vintage finishes - I believe they tend to be more trendy, coming into style right along with the whole "new vintage" era that you see everywhere you turn - in clothes, home furnishings, fabrics...what's old is new again, and so it goes.

I like the way a dark finish against a bright floral china pattern makes the colors pop, and how it lends to the "old" feeling of a piece of china. I equally like the feeling of luxury a shiny, silver finish affords. For me personally, I guess it all comes down to what kind of mood I'm in.

Which do you prefer?


Silver that has been given a black finish



What do you think?






13 comments:

  1. I actually LOVE both equally!! How beautiful!! I don't solder. :-( Do you hand cut your pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. surely the silver for me! Just love your work, will be back to browse in your etsy shop soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour ~ These are just gorgeous! Thank you for stopping by and becoming a follower. I am now a follower of you too! I will be back to visit soon. Have a lovely week ~ Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,

    They are both beautiful but I do think I like the silver best. I agree, though...it could just depend on my mood or even what I was wearing it with! Gorgeous pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Just love it all but can see why you are drawn to silver!
    Lesley X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them both, depending on the china pattern and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them both too! The bits of plates make such lovely and whimisical necklaces. Very sweet - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative. All are breath takingly beautiful. Impossible to choose any one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both. But I think the dark finish gives it even more vintage charm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wondering, if you even sold any of your pieces in Tubac, AZ?
    I was given a necklace, looks like your work, both in a gift shop there?
    It is one of my favorite, and I now it lives with me all day in Spain.
    Edith

    ReplyDelete