Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The New, The Unique, The Unusual: Broken China Jewelry Statement Necklace




Sometimes I get so busy doing the things I am "supposed to be" doing that I forget to do things that I enjoy and that I want to do. 

I'm talking about work and jewelry making, and when you are full-time in this business as I am, it's easy to get caught up in the day to day work of making the types of things that are popular -  and often over and over again. 

Of course, it's how I earn a living, and so I am constantly busy with requests and with things that people want - and that is very time consuming. 

And what gets tucked away in a drawer are the projects that I play with in my head, things that are new and different, things that zig when others zag. The experiments, the "take-a-chances," the out on a limbs," the "hmmms..."  

I love creating unusual things, piecing them together in my mind and then later with my hands. I love creating unique statement pieces that push people's concept of style and hopefully encourage them to own the bravery of trying something new. Or often, just the ability to show who they really are inside, pleasing themselves instead of others. 

That's what art jewelry can do. Statement pieces that are one of a kind are as unique as the individual who owns them. And when I say "owns them" I'm not just talking about having something in your possession, but about really owning that style, making it your own, making it you. 





I love how this statement necklace turned out. It's so cool and elegant at the same time. The mix of antique rose floral porcelain and pottery are an intermix of expensive fine china and dime store dinnerware of the 1930's to 50's, which work together and support each other to create the finished whole. 












What do you think?




Have a great week!
 Laura


Article, images, and designs copyright ©Laura Beth Love for Dishfunctional Designs™ 2018
all rights reserved