My family loves sweet potatoes and yams, so I cook them all the time for different recipes (especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas), but without the proper know-how, peeling boiled cooked yams or sweet potatoes can be a disaster!
Below I've shared my fast and simple way to peel them, but before we begin, the most important thing to know is that you must peel them while they are hot! If you cook them and then put them in the fridge or wait until they are cold to peel them, they can be extremely difficult to peel. I boil mine until they are no longer firm in the center when tested with a knife, remove them from the boiling water, rest them just for a minute or two, and then peel. Here's how I do it.
1. Slice off both ends with knife.
2. Use a sharp knife to make one long shallow cut down the potato from end to end. Only slice through the skin and avoid slicing deep down into the potato.
3. This is how it should look.
4. Use your hands to carefully peel away one side of the skin next to where you sliced. Be careful, its hot! The skin should fall very easily away from the potato.
5. Then do the same thing on the other side, peeling the shell away, working around the potato until the entire skin is removed. That's it!
Love yams and sweet potatoes? You might like this recipe:
What's your favorite yam or sweet potato dish?
Have a great week!
My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at https://www.etsy.com/shop/dishfunctionldesigns