Friday, August 23, 2013

In Memory Of My Brother John

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
That, we still are.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effect.
Without the trace of a shadow on it.

Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same that it ever was.
There is absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just round the corner.

All is well. 

     ~ Henry Scott Holland

I wanted to share this poem in memory of my brother John, who passed away last week after a ten month battle with multiple myeloma. Although John was the oldest and I was the youngest of our four siblings, I feel like I have lost my twin. His obituary reads, "John was a philosopher and avid reader. He loved cats, naps, the beach, sweets of all kinds and most of all, joking."

Click here to visit the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation


  1. Sounds like a great obituary....things that matter most, in the grand scheme of things.
    Sorry for you loss. I too have a Brother John.

  2. My deepest sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your brother, Laura. The poem is lovely, thank you for sharing it, and the sweet words about your brother, with all of us.

  3. So very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Beautiful poem!

  4. What a lovely tribute to your brother, John. It is obvious you loved him very much and will miss him until the day you that you will be reunited with him and other loved ones. Thank you for sharing a little of him with us.

  5. I'm so sorry for your loss! I can't tell you that I know what it feels like to lose a sibling, but I recently lost my best friend of 50 years. We met when we were 6 years old & she died suddenly. She was like my other half, as close as a sister in many ways, & I'm still grieving her loss. Each day, each week gets better slowly. But that sense of loss is & always will be there. Like the poem though, I know she isn't far away from me. I have felt her presence often, which brings great comfort to me, as I hope your brother's nearness brings to you.

  6. I'm so sorry to hear about th lost of your brother I wish you a lot of strenght and hope. Love Sanne

  7. I'm so sorry for your loss. Words are not enough at times like these. Sending internet hugs....

  8. What a lovely tribute! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother John. I don't have a brother John but I do have a father named John...we found out earlier this week that he has only 3 months left to live. I think I'll be keeping this poem and reading it for comfort. Bless you and your family.

  9. You and your family are in my prayers. I pray the angels can put their arms around all of you, with comfort and know that John isn't really gone. That you will all be together one day. You may not be able to see him right now, but he is with you and your family always. Your a wonderful sister.
    Lisa Rose

  10. My condolences on the loss of your brother, Laura. I was in your shoes just last summer. I lost my oldest sister (I am the youngest) to Biliary Cancer last summer - she had only turned 50. The poem you shared resonates with me deeply and I want to thank you for sharing it. :-) Hugs!

  11. I'm so very sorry for your loss

  12. It sounds like your brother was a whole lotta fun, AnD, a gREAt brother.
    I am so sorry for your loss, but just like your fabulous poem suggests--
    he is somewhere very near, just around the corner. (Probably eating some candy and eavesdropping on you!)

  13. So sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

  14. Oh...I am so sorry! My big brother married my best friend...I drive her nuts when we do a girls weekend..She says I think just like Rod.
    My prayers are with your family!

  15. I'm so sorry for your loss.
    This hit me in many ways, as my mom died on the 8th. It was a month of rapid decline, so in my world, it was sudden and fast. Blessings & curses, right?
    The poem is one that always brings me to tears. This time it's more than I expected. I truly feel for you and your family. I hope he passed with his family nearby and a kitty on his lap.
    My love to you.

  16. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. The poem is lovely, and does speak so well to those whom we have lost.
    "Laugh as we always laughed
    at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
    Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me."
    This phrase especially speaks to me. I will continue to laugh and smile and pray for those I've lost.
    Thank you for sharing.

  17. I am so very sorry about the loss of your dear brother... my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.



  18. I'm very sorry for your loss.

  19. What very sad news - I'm so sorry you have lost your 'twin'. My sympathies to you and your family. Henry Holland says it all. Please take care.

  20. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My father in law passed away of the same thing a few years ago. It is such a sneaky disease and the dr. said it was pretty rare but now I am reading it is becoming more commmon.

  21. A beautiful tribute, so perfect and moving.

  22. I'm very sorry for the loss of your brother. Love from Brazil

  23. I am very sorry to hear about your brother. I just lost my sister in May. She also had multiple myeloma. It is such an awful disease.
    Take care.
    Sincere wishes.

  24. Deepest condolences. Such a beautiful poem as is your love for your brother.

  25. I only recently found your site by clicking on something else, so I haven't followed for too long. Nonetheless, you show your spirit in your work. You are making your brother proud for sure. Now you have an extra special someone up there looking over you. I can't imagine your pain or grief, but I hope it lessens with each passing day. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong!

  26. so sorry for your loss. my dad passed away from the same vile disease over 30 years ago, he was 50, I was 21. love and prayers to you. becky

  27. What a beautiful poem and tribute to your brother John. I am saddened by your loss. Peace be with you.

  28. I'm so sorry. Stumbled on your site today looking at the vintage jewelry -- you are a beautiful person and my thoughts are with you in this time of sorrow.

  29. So sorry for your loss, I have only an older brother and I have always said he was such a great brother to me, growing up. Thank you for sharing and giving your followers the opportunity to wish you and your family our wishes of comfort. We are all joined together in the highs and low of life and support from others is such a help. He sounded like a wonderful, fun man who left a rich legacy for you. Hugs.

  30. My thoughts are you you and your family.


  31. i am so sorry for your loss. i share in your loss.
    my brother died on August 3rd, of complications from a stroke. he was my older brother, i am the youngest of 7 children. like your brother, mine was the 'comic' in the family, always making jokes, making us laugh. he loved 'junk' (he ran a flea market for many years, i think "junkin" in in our blood because all of us (parents included) have always loved garage sales, flea markets and making treasures out of other people's trash. besides making people laugh and other people's junk, my brother loved cars, and he loved his family.

    thank you for sharing this poem. the words are perfectly comforting, and they fit with how i want to remember my brother, and more importantly, how he would want to be remembered.

    yes, it is a huge loss not to have our brothers in our life, still. but because they were such a great part of our lives, you know they will always be close by.

    take care