The Upcycled Garden 2012: Using Recycled Salvaged Materials In Your Garden


 I love an old-fashioned, cottage garden! What better way to showcase those worn and imperfect antiques and flea market finds than to incorporate them into your garden landscape? This is the perfect way to personalize your outdoor haven and add character to your garden! Take a look at these charming examples of ways you can add architectural salvage and vintage finds - recycled and repurposed - to your garden! 



Photobucket



This old frosted glass light fixture makes a beautiful new bird feeder or birdbath





img_2082

img_2083



Here, old window frames with well placed chandelier crystals form a unique garden divider



An old window hung from a tree adds interest and shape to your garden




This vintage colander is now a hanging planter with built in drainage!



Old drawers, crates and boxes make unique wall planters






An old garden shovel is used as a trellis from Cottage in the Oaks





Plant Forum
Here, an old high chair adds charm and interest



This potting bench was made from old salvaged materials; from dr Molly

I like to hang planters from my trees in the front yard, but it would look lovely on a front porch as well. I am going to make two more and hang in a grouping of three.  Fill planter with dirt and add your favorite plants.



Add a vibrant painted chair to your garden



A mirror in the garden adds interest as well as dimension



Paint the frame a bright color! by deardaisycottage



an old horse buggy used as an outdoor planter


[DSC_0152%255B5%255D.jpg]


License Plate Flower Box OH CMT



Barbed wire trellis by Thedustyraven via Etsy









Another great use for old jars is to use them as planters: just add wire! from Hutch Studio



















Paint an old wood pallet and use to hide trash cans or air conditioner units by Camelot Art Creations













I LOVE purple in the garden! Don't be afraid to add bright colors with paint for exciting accents. Here, the shutters, bench, and hanging flower pot are all painted purple.



Estonia, Baltic States, Saaremaa Island (1701R-31005 / 88751239 © Exactostock)
The weathered wood of this old boat adds contrast in texture to the flowers planted inside



Every garden needs a door, even if it leads to nowhere...
photo by Swede13 via Etsy









MayWalk7

MayWalk9


What do you think about using these items in your garden? Have you tried anything like this in your own garden? Tell us!

22 comments:

  1. LOve it! I got an aluminum half round awning (think a long half tunnel) from a steak house that was closing for free. I cut it in 3 pieces one about 8 feet and 2 3 feet sections and mounted the long one on landscape timbers for an arbor. I lined one side with 2 old metal headboards and the other with 3 old metal gates..love it! I use the other pieces as trellis now but they may end up"in the air" too. I am always looking for cool old junk to plop in my garden or flowerbeds. I used to do the floorlamp base planters at my old shop..love that one with the succulents!I also planted old wire bike baskets and other old wire baskets. I use wire tomato cages upside down..just bend the "legs" into curls and they can hold a gazing globe or they are good for floppy flowers..just stick them right in the planting.My current favs are 3 old zinc chicken feeders(they are like large ribbed buckets) that I have upside down and use for planters and a huge bronze piece that was originally a bell. I want to try some of those chicken wire ladies..less creepy than a scarecrow! Yay for garden junk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wire bike basket idea! You should put some photos up!

      Delete
    2. show the steak house thing !!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I couldn't pick a favorite if I had to! All are fabulous -- love those mirrors and the various ways of using windows and, oh my goodness, the plates!
    I've got to dress up my shed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great ideas....I love that last one...usually you see the Madonna in that form...

    Lots of inspiration! Thanks...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought that one was unusual & interesting.

      Delete
  4. Good grief, these are absolutely wonderful and will use ideas for my daughter's wedding. I love recycled art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have enjoyed the post. Just so folks know, that red door trellis was made by Kirk Willis, a friend of mine who lives in Washington state. https://www.facebook.com/kirk.willis.16 I know he would love to hear from you and if you need help making it will probably gladly share tips. =-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really like yur recycled things 2 doors for trellis i thought was neat & different things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am always dragging home "junK" as my husband calls it lol. I have an old Hiawatha bicycle( think Pee Wee Herman) The tires were dry rotted so I just spray painter it tires ,spokes and all a nice bright turquoise and hung a wire basket on the handle bars and two on the rear fender filled them with anuals and viola instant garden art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a pink one once with flowers plan ted in the basket. It was lovely.

      Delete
  8. I love the liscence plate haneing basket and the box too... maybe I can get my hubby to bend some up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. simply amazingggggggg! love love love..can't wait to do this as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the ideas. It brings so much more life to your landscape with all these personalized treasures. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always working in my garden and on the hunt for new treasures.... they're becoming more difficult to find don't you think? I had a great trip to Luckett's in VA. this week and found some terrific 1/2 off sale items! Now, because of your fab ideas... I have 3 items on my list 1. a big funnel 2. a painted wooden chair 3. an enamel colander! Thanks so much - I'm recovering from bi-lateral knee replacement and this is keeping me going instead of being an impatient patient!!!!! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I love this page. I'm interested in up cycling existing things, into yard art, or useful yard items. All of the things showcased here, are done in such a manner as to harmonize with their surrounding. I love it.

    ReplyDelete