Are You Gonna Go My Way? Creative Uses for Old Maps


If you've ever had a subscription to National Geographic magazine you'll know exactly what I am talking about... map overload! 

But stop right there. Don't you dare throw away those old maps and atlases. Instead, why not give them a new purpose by upcycling them into something new and unique, like one of the creative examples shown here.

letter press on atlas page via amyriceart on etsy




I love this map table by Cassie at Primitive & Proper




Map decoupaged headboard from Midwest Living



DIY map magnets. These were actually made from an old puzzle, but you can make your own by simply pasting an old map onto cardboard, cutting out, and adhering magnets to the reverse side. This is a great way to teach your kids geography!












decoupage map onto wood letters (via etsy)













































chair by gardenantqs







map wall decor2



                   
                                 behind an old window                    a new look inside old booksheves























Pin this post!    




What do you think? 




35 comments:

  1. i LOVE all of them!!!!!!!!!!!

    found you via etsy blog team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So much mappy goodness! Thanks for including me. I love using old maps..the colors are just beautiful to me and the topography and towns add texture to the paper. So many things to love here! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the map on the ceiling!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was the most pinned photo here.

      Delete
  4. Wow! what an inspiration. Think I like the rose best of all.
    Lesley XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the creative uses for maps. My favorite are using them with photos or for gift wrap or envelopes. Love those map gift bags! That heart garland is pretty cool too.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. So inspirational! Thanks so much for having me here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing, amazing post!
    So glad I found your blog!
    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  8. The waste bin looks like what humanity is dooing to wards or planet...
    But Great Art, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love maps; my daughter loves maps.
    Thank you...these ideas are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, glad you liked the post.

      Delete
  10. Great ideas! I love the birds and the rose. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the bird too, it could be used year round or as holiday decor.

      Delete
  11. Where can I find a map the size of the one on the ceiling? I have a vaulted ceiling like that upstairs and would like to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click the link below the photo. The one in the photo was custom made.

      Delete
  12. Now I can't wait to find old maps -- Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, glad you liked the child's chair I created. I had 4 of them and the table too. Thanks for giving me credit, Theresa-Garden Antqs Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your post. Thanks so much for inspiring me! I will look carefully at each one before I try this. It looks like a lot of the crafts (window shades, dresser fronts, etc) are covered in really big maps? Of course it looks better that way, but I only have small maps from magazines. I would have to do a lot of piecing. I'm not thinking that's going to look right. All these designs are perfect! I want to cover an old wardrobe that's been painted a million times and is in (almost)hopeless condition. I probably need to get really big maps and not use my little things. Hmmm, so much inspiration to ponder. Have a wonderful day, you creative genius! Tia in the Woods

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much for the shout out and for this awesome round up! i am in love with those birds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ideas are fantastic! What method was used to attach the map to the inside of the glass door panels?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get teased about my love of maps, atlases, geography, etc. Now I feel vindicated! Love these ideas and plan to try at least one or two!

    ReplyDelete