Saturday, October 21, 2023

Farmhouse Painted Pumpkins

In my last blog post I shared with you my designs and ideas for Boho style painted pumpkins. Now I'm taking a turn away from the heavy repetitive Boho patterns and turning to the pastoral, quaint grace of Farmhouse style painted pumpkins! 

I'm talking about quieter paint colors used in only one or two color combinations at a time. My inspirations? I'm inspired by the look of a whitewashed picket fence, or the peeling layers of paint of an old barn. 

Take a hand at trying to create your own using either real or artificial pumpkins and inexpensive acrylic paints and a few paint brushes. 

Here are a few of my pointers!

~ Remember that you can add a few drops of water to your acrylic paint to loosen it up a bit for more of that whitewashed look. 

~ Once paint is applied, you can go back in with a dry brush to remove some areas of paint for a kind of sgraffito effect - this works great when using only one color paint. *Be sure to do this technique before the paint dries!

~ Draw over a dried painted layer with crayons, charcoal, or markers.

~ Add water-slide decals or tissue paper decoupage to a white painted layer.

~ For a peeling or crackled effect, choose two contrasting colors, paint the base color and allow to dry (this is the color that will show through the crackle), coat with crackle medium or try out some regular elmers's glue (I've heard this works but have not tried it myself), allow to dry only until tacky, then paint your second paint color right over the glue layer. Once it all dries it creates a crackle or peeling effect. 

~ Before you start you wash your pumpkin with some warm soapy water to remove any dirt, rinse, and dry well. 


I'll provide the inspiration!...













Example of decoupage


Sketching/drawing on dried paint






Abstract painting


Example of sgraffito








Example of sgraffito 



 I hope I've inspired you to create your own! As always, you can find my craft supply lists and recommendations here on my Amazon page(as an Amazon Influencer I earn from qualifying purchases.) Happy Fall! 

Laura

Pin this post!


 See my new printables!




You might also like: 









Have a great week!
Laura

Article and images copyright ©Laura Beth Love 2023 and may not be republished in print or other media without express written permission from the author. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from quaifying purchases.