Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Homemade Waffle & Ice Cream Sandwiches

 

Nothing says summer to me more than waffles and ice cream! I love to get waffle & ice cream sandwiches when I'm at fairs or festivals, but that's very seldom, so I thought I would try my hand at making my own and freezing them to eat later. Here's how it went!


I used my electric waffle iron and box mix pancake/waffle mix to make it easy, but you can make your own homemade waffles with this recipe:

Waffles: Whisk together:

2 large eggs

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 ¾ cups milk

½ cup vegetable oil

1 tablespoon white sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon vanilla extract



Once you've prepared your batter, lightly spray your heated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and pour some batter into the waffle mold and close the lid. 

My waffle iron has a bell that rings when mine are finished, so follow the directions on your waffle iron for how to operate it and cook your waffles. I use a fork to remove mine from the iron once they are golden brown. I spray the iron with non-stick spray each time before filling it with more batter. 

Place your waffles onto cooling racks and allow them to cool completely. This part is important or you will have a big mess on your hands trying to fill warm waffles with melting ice cream! (If that is the case, you must eat them immediately :) !)

Match your waffles up into pairs of two, match them by size, so if some are a bit smaller, match those together, etc.



Once my waffles were completely cool I assembled my ice cream. I used vanilla and chocolate but you can use any kind of ice cream that you like. 



Using a large spoon I spread a heap of each flavor onto one waffle. More is better. 




I worked in batches of two at a time.



Once you have your ice cream on the waffle, top it off with the second matching waffle and press down gently so that it sticks together like a sandwich.



The first time I made these I used plastic wrap to wrap them up, but it was time consuming, messy, and felt like such a waste of plastic wrap, so this time I decided to try out aluminum foil instead. 

The foil was so much easier to use; it was easier to get the right size that I wanted than with the plastic wrap, and they wrapped up nice and tight.



It's a good idea to figure out how many pieces of foil you will need ahead of time (after you match up your waffles) so that you can have the pieces torn off and ready to work with. I did two sandwiches at a time so that others wouldn't be melting all over the place while I fiddled with assembling more. Once I had them wrapped with foil I popped them into the freezer and then assembled the next two, etc., until all were done. 

All together it took me less than an hour from start to finish to make about 10-12 sandwiches. We enjoyed them once they were frozen solid, which took about 4 hours in my freezer. Hope you try making them yourself! Would be a fun thing to make with kids. 

Have a great week!

Laura




  

    
You might also like: 









Have a great week!
Laura

Article and images copyright ©Laura Beth Love 2023 and may not be republished in print or other media without express written permission from the author.