Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Wednesday Comfort Food Recipe: Easy Chicken Paprikash



With my daughter coming home from college tomorrow for the first time since she went away in August, the homecooked meal requests started rolling in weeks ahead of time! 

My (quick and easy) chicken paprikash was first on the list and figured while I cooked up a batch for her I might as well share the recipe here as well. This recipe is easy enough for a beginner and only calls for a few ingredients. Even better, you can prepare it a day ahead of time since it thickens overnight and tastes even better the next day!

You will need:
1 medium onion
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
2 boneless chicken breasts (1 & 1/2 to 2 cups uncooked)
1 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
16oz container Sour Cream (you will use less)
2 heaping Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon cold water
1 Tablespoon Paprika
Fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Prepared rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles for serving.

Directions:

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the copped onion, cooking on low while you prep the chicken.

Use a serrated knife to butterfly slice your chicken breasts through the center creating two thin pieces. Do this with both chicken breasts.

Note: I buy my chicken in the large family packs, so when I am going to make a recipe I clean and prep the entire package of chicken at one time. Then I set aside what I need for the recipe and freeze whatever is left. I'll show you how I do that too.

After you cut one breast and separate the pieces, this is what it will look like.

If you like, you can cut the tendon or any fatty or cartilage out with kitchen scissors and discard

Here is what it looked like once I butterflied and cleaned the entire family-sized pack of chicken! I will set a few pieces aside (about 1 & 1/2 to 2 cups) for my paprikash and bag the rest for the freezer. Family packs save you a lot of money and are worth the little bit of work! 

Note: I always use the smaller pieces to cut up for the recipe and freeze the nicer filets for a later recipe when I want larger pieces such as for chicken Parmesan or Marsala.

Use your kitchen scissors (or knife) to cut the chicken into one to two-inch sized pieces and add to the onion and butter mixture.

Here is what I did with the rest of the cleaned chicken: I put it in one flat layer in freezer bags, sealed, and then put into another bag and then into my freezer for use at a later date.

Cook the chicken & onion on medium heat until cooked though, stirring occasionally. If a lot of moisture comes out of your chicken you can pour some away if you like. I do this. 
Next add 1 cup of chicken broth to the chicken.


Put a little bit more than 3/4 of your sour cream into a bowl and then add the 2 Tablespoons of four. Add one Tablespoon of water and mix well with a whisk until all lumps are gone and the flour is completely combined with the sour cream. Then pour the sour cream mixture into the pot with your chicken and stir to combine.

Next add one Tablespoon of paprika and mix well.

I usually throw an extra pinch of two of paprika in because I like to really taste the paprika, but be careful to not add too much or it will taste bitter. Add the salt and black pepper and stir to combine.

Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles. Serve with steamed broccoli or peas. Refrigerate leftover for up to three days. That's it! Enjoy!

Pin this post!

You might also like:


Article copyright Laura Beth Love 2021 and may not be republished in print or other media without express written permission from the author. For any link updates or corrections leave correct info in comment area.