Saturday, July 14, 2018

Now Taking Custom Orders From Your Own Family China! Broken China Jewelry



Big news! I am now once again accepting custom orders from your own china! Yay! 

Yes, send me a plate or a piece of your or your mom's or grandma's old china and I will make you and your family beautiful, custom pieces of jewelry from your china plate.

Right now is the best time to get in your orders for Christmas gifts since I will probably have to stop accepting new custom orders as they pile up and as summer fades away and we creep closer to the holidays. 

Check out the photos on this page for a few examples of some past custom orders that I created for customers.


Before:



After:

 custom order broken china jewelry necklaces
custom order from a few years ago



When someone requests a custom order from their own china the first thing I ask is that they email me a photo of the china that they would like to send to me so that I can take a quick look at it and determine whether or not I can work with it - I look at the material and the shape and thickness or thinness of the plate or china pieces.  

I won't work with certain types of china, such as super-hard porcelain and thick, heavy stoneware such as restaurant ware. This may seem odd, but it's for good reason. These materials are just too hard on my tools. It's like it using expensive jewelry cutting pliers that are made for cutting precious metal wire and using them to cut a steel fence. Do that and you can say goodbye to those $50 pliers! 

The same goes with my cutting and saw blades. They are tough, but they're also expensive to replace. It's easy to ruin a $100 saw blade just by using it to cut material that is too hard or thick. Yes, saw blades are an item that are routinely replaced when they wear out, but they should normally last months and months before needing to be replaced. I've many times used a saw blade for over a year without having to replace it. 

So some materials are just off-limits and that's why. But sometimes I can make more of a shard-shaped piece of jewelry if the material is not suited for cutting into a specific shape, so it also depends on what you want, so be sure to also give me an idea of what you would like - what shapes or from what part of the plate's design you would like made into jewelry. Then I can take a look at it and let you know if I think I can work with it. It's also helpful to send me a photo of the reverse side of the plate, as that will often tell me the material.

Before:



After: 

 custom order broken china jewelry necklaces
custom order from a few years ago 


Custom work can be extremely time consuming and therefore it is sometimes a bit more expensive than my regular jewelry. When an artist does a custom order they are taking time away from their regular work to make something to your personal specifications, so it is very specialized work. You are paying for years of work and expertise when you ask for a custom order! 
Before:



After:

 custom order broken china jewelry necklaces
custom order from a few years ago


After I take a look at your plate and you let me know what you would like made, I will then give you an estimate of how much it will cost, and I will let you know about how long it will take for me to make your jewelry. I usually have a pretty quick turnaround time of a few days, but it does depend on my current workload! 


Before: 

After:

 custom order broken china jewelry
custom order from a few years ago


Custom made broken china jewelry makes the most amazing gifts for holidays such as Christmas, for wedding anniversaries, and bridal party gifts! I've created necklaces for large and small groups of bridesmaids (order early!)




My jewelry featured in Country Living magazine - Editor's Fresh Picks section


Before starting out, have an idea of what you want made, but be willing to be flexible. I will tell you what I think would look best but will make as close as I can to whatever you request.

Are you on a tight budget? I also offer shard pendants at a bit lower cost than my heart and oval shaped pieces. The shard-shaped abstract triangles do not require as much cutting and therefore I charge lower for those types of pieces. 



Interested in a custom order? Email me at sales@dishfunctionaldesigns.com with a photo of your china and let me know approximately what you would like made and we can get the ball rolling! 


 https://www.etsy.com/shop/dishfunctionldesigns


Have a great week!
 Laura

My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at https://www.etsy.com/shop/dishfunctionldesigns


article, images, and designs copyright ©Laura Beth Love 2018 all rights reserved