Saturday, August 20, 2016

Gifts From The Sea: Collecting Beach Stones and Pebbles

Each year when I visit the beach (usually Cape May, New Jersey and every few years Assateague Island, Virginia) one of my favorite things to do is walk the beach and look for unique and unusual stones and pebbles. 

I even like the word pebble - it has a soft, gentle sound that's calming. There's nothing harsh, loud or brash about the quiet pebble. 

My daughters and I stroll the shoreline, picking a few out of the sand as we walk, collecting a handful or two of favorites. Suddenly they're not just pebbles, but treasures. 

My eyes search for unusual shaped and textured stones, and I sometimes I get lucky and find a small piece of petrified wood, volcanic rock, or fossilized coral.

But I think my favorites are the plain white, completely smooth oval and egg shaped ones. They're soothing to hold and turn over in my hand and they make my fingers happy. They're truly a gift from the sea, and for that I'm so grateful.

I hope you have a great week! 

My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at

article and images ©Laura Beth Love 2016


  1. I love Cape May, too. The last time we were there, we looked for Cape May diamonds, which is really water-polished quartz and pretty small. Near the beach where we parked was a small, family-owned rock store with lots of pretty stuff and a very nice clerk (the owners' son). You should check it out next time you go. It's located at the tip of the Delaware Bay and there's a military lookout tower there, too. Have a great weekend with you family!

    1. Hi Robin, Yes that's where we go too. Last time we were there we had a quick rainstorm and went after it stopped raining and cleared up, and I got the most beautiful sunset photos at the point! And a handful of stones too :)

  2. They are beautiful. I find a few broken shells and some pebbles but not that pretty when I visit my son in Calif. Heading to Fla. in Oct. to spend a few days so I think I will walk the beach and see what I can find. Those you have would make some pretty necklaces. Keep on collecting. Not only collecting making memories with your daughters. Beautiful!I am just now getting back into blogging after a year away. Please stop for a visit at

  3. Enjoyed reading your post - discovered via Blogging Buddies on Etsy. Very evocative! Look forward to seeing how you use them in your projects (if you can bear to stop feeling them!).