Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Country Bunny And The Little Gold Shoes

The Country Bunny And The Little Gold Shoes
by DuBose Hayward
published in 1939
Illustrated by Marjorie Flack

This book is a literary treasure. If you have not read this to your children, or to your grandchildren, or for yourself, you should! Happy Easter!

One day a little country girl bunny with a brown skin
and a little cotton-ball of a tail said, "Some day I shall
grow up to be the Easter Bunny: you wait and see!"
Then all of the big white bunnies who lived in fine houses,
and the Jack Rabbits with long legs who can run fast,
laughed at the little Cottontail and told her to go
back to the country and eat a carrot.
But she said, "Wait and see!"

Have you read this book?

I hope you have a great week 
Love, Laura

My broken china jewelry is always available for purchase at


  1. This was a favorite of mine growing up, and as an adult I love the illustrations even more. Thanks for sharing it today - I hadn't thought about it in some time, and it's so very worth revisiting!

  2. Love the illustrations on this book!

    Cute blog, looking forward to reading more! I came across your blog on the Etsy blog team.

    I'm your newest follower!


    my blog:

    my Etsy:

  3. No, but it looks like a very cute book!

    1. It's a really sweet book that teaches children that you should follow your dreams and that you can do anything! :)

  4. I had this book when I was little - or my mom did and read it to me...not sure, but I know I've seen these pictures before and remember the story-line. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

  5. Oh, yes! This was and continues to be our family's Easter favorite. So very dear to my heart. I love reading it out loud to any child within earshot, but preferably to the one(s) cuddled up on my lap. Thanks for sharing it here.

  6. I just love your Blog. My fiance' and I search for treasures and repourpose things too so we just started a blog for everyone to follow. I'd love it if you stopped by and join.